Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lunch with Mary Jane

Whenever I think of my childhood I would recall magical moments. These are a few of those moments. The paintings you see before you were from another era. A time when life was simpler and full of hope and prosperity. White Castle sprung up in areas you only longed to visit once in a while and McDonald's wasn't as well known and too far away.

As a young girl, I would go to the local corner store in the Bronx to purchase goodies. It was the kind of store where the owner would know you by family name and kept a running tab. Mary Janes were filled in a large glass jar, as were all of the candies. Fresh fruit filled baskets, and brown paper sacks were lined on the counter to fill it with your hearts desire. I remember penny candy like it was yesterday and while I may have not had lots of candy, I always saved my pennies for my Mary Jane's. In High School I would order BLT and hot cocoa; what a treat. I loved pears, apples, and of course oranges... Umm I can almost smell and taste them once more. What was so amazing to me is how easily everything fit into this little brown paper sack.... hence, this series. There are a couple more I will photograph and post soon.

12X16 Box Canvas
Available $199.00 plus shipping

No comments:

Post a Comment